DIABETES PREVENTION PROGRAM COURSES
SPARKPRO DIABETES PREVENTION PROGRAM MASTER TRAINER PROGRAM
Next Training Date TBD - Please check back for more information.
Faculty members of the Diabetes Prevention Support Center (DPSC) of the University of Pittsburgh have partnered with SparkPro Training to offer a Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) Group Lifestyle Balance™ Master Trainer Program to prepare experienced providers to deliver Lifestyle Coach training workshops for health providers within their organization. A key component for successful DPP Group Lifestyle Balance™ program delivery is standardized and comprehensive training for health providers who are delivering the program. This allows for a high level of quality in program implementation, as well as long-term sustainability within large organizations that are delivering the DPP Group Lifestyle Balance™ program.
The live virtual two-day DPP Group Lifestyle Balance™ Master Trainer workshop is conducted by expert faculty from the original DPP team, and is designed to provide experienced DPP Group Lifestyle Balance™ providers with the skills and materials necessary to provide Lifestyle Coach training and support for implementation in the community.
As a first step, individuals who would like to become a DPP GLB Master Trainer should complete the DPP GLB two-day Lifestyle Coach training to obtain experience in offering the one-year DPP GLB program to those at risk for type 2 diabetes.
Required qualifications for application to the DPP GLB Master Trainer Program:
- Previous completion of at least 12 hours of formal Lifestyle Coach training by a CDC recognized trainer
- Evidence of successful DPP GLB program delivery for at least one year
- Health care professional with a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a health-related field (or substantive experience)
- Recommendation by supervisor to address the following qualities:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong presentation skills and group facilitation skills
- Understanding of adult learning principles
- Knowledge of the principles of behavior change (including motivational interviewing techniques)
- Experience with data collection and reporting (i.e., word processing, working with Excel spreadsheets entry, reporting, and interpretation)
- Ability to understand and oversee participant safety related issues with respect to program delivery and ensuring participant privacy and confidentiality
- Ability to guide behavior change efforts in others without prescribing personal actions or solutions, so that participants increase their self-confidence and capacity to make and sustain positive lifestyle changes
- Ability to build strong relationships with individuals and build community within a group, including virtual groups where applicable
- Ability to work with people from different backgrounds and cultures; cultural competency related to participants served
Live Virtual Training - Date TBD
The live virtual DPP GLB Master Trainer program is an engaged and participatory training. In order to get the most benefit from the training, you are expected to:
- Have your camera on during the training, aside from breaks.
- Plan to complete the training in a space where you will have minimal distractions.
- Reserve the timeframe of the training so that you can fully participate (i.e. cancel any meetings/events, put an away message on your email, arrange for childcare, etc...).
- Use one screen per person. This will allow you to use the Zoom features embedded in the training (chat, breakout rooms) and not encounter technical issues that can occur with audio when multiple devices are in the same room.
In addition, please note that in order to receive DPP Master Trainer certification, YOU MUST ATTEND BOTH FULL DAYS OF TRAINING AND PARTICIPATE IN the virtual activities that are part of the training. DPP GLB Master Trainers will complete a Master Training agreement with SparkPro Training on an annual basis.
Please contact us at [email protected] if you are interested in attending an upcoming Master Training workshop and we will place your name on our planning list.
Application Packets include the following. We will provide information about submission once we have set the next Master Training date.
- Candidate’s resume or CV
- Letter of Recommendation from Supervisor